Superwife - Camo belt - D

My wife of 8 years and mother of our three kids. She started TKD after the birth of Odie, our third child.

Princess - Camo Belt - D

Our seven-year-old daughter. She was originally supposed to be a spectator to Cowboy, but jumped in and has proven to have an incredible talent for the martial arts.

Cowboy - Camo Belt - D

Our six-year-old son. He is small for his age, so starting him in TKD is what got us into this mess. He is very close to our Chief Instructor, and his spirit is twice as big as he is.

Odie

Our youngest son, born in April of 2006. By the time he is old enough to start, we should all be Black Belts.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Finally...Some Change

Challenge is certainly coming along. One thing I will pat myself on the back for is that I have been, if nothing else, determined. Since I failed to reach any but one of my PV's so far, I am trying to do them all simultaneously that should have been completed by now. What that means is that I am trying to organize my life, make a budget (and stick to it), show up where I'm supposed to be on time, and catch up on my challenge all at the same time. Believe it or not, I'm making progress. Not enough for me to call it a complete PV, but progress.

Sorry I haven't touched base recently--particularly because a lot has happened in my little ATA world. After all the whining I've done on here recently--out of the blue, everything changed.

First was the test, in which Cowboy again didn't get invited to BBC. That incensed my wife and I, since he was trying so hard to make it. What bothered us the most was the implication that the instructor had given over the past months that if he tried hard enough he would get invited. So of course, we pumped him up, only to be disappointed again. As I've mentioned before, our instructors are not the easiest bunch to talk to. So when, a couple of weeks ago, the opportunity opened--my wife took it.

She started by asking about the ground fighting that we do, and if it will ever be something that we'll need for a tournament, or for Tae Kwon Do for that matter. Of course, the answer was "no." Since she had his ear, she went on to voice her concerns about Cowboy and the BBC. The conversation ended with SW thinking that nothing had changed, and that we were going to stop trying to convince him that if he tried hard he could get in.

Fats forward to last Thursday. At the end of Cowboy's class, which is right before ours, the instructor had Cowboy stand up. SW and I, who were dressed and stretching out, stood up too, flabberghast. I have never seen Cowboy smile so big as he did when the instructor gave him his letter inviting him into BBC. He had his first class on Saturday, but more on that later.

After Cowboy's class our instructor informed us that we'd be testing for a full belt this cycle and that we'd all be in BBC come January. He's definitely hesitant that we'll be able to learn everything (uhhh..Songahm 1?) in time. He diefinitely has reservations, although I'm not 100% sure what they are. Our physical fitness may be a big part of that--I'm not sure.

Either way, things are starting to look up.

CHALLENGE STATUS

PUSHUP: -885
SITUPS: -965
MILES: -55

Comments on "Finally...Some Change"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 PM) : 

That's great news! Man, you guys have to truly jump hurdles to get to BBC. I just had to ask, or rather, I was encouraged to plunk down the money if I wanted to continue! :-S But that's super news. I'm glad SW spoke up. Girl power! ;-) Glad to hear you are going to be working towards a full belt as well. Yeah, I know, S#1? In time for January? Puleeze! I think you'll all be fine. Even for me, I'm a 2R (Brown recommended) going for 2D (Decided) in about 3 weeks, and I have all of Songham #4 down. I'm supposed to have the corresponding one-steps down too, but since I'm doing actual sparring instead, Ma'am isn't making me do them. (I asked, just to make sure I was missing something-- I'll have to know them eventually if I am going to teach it!) I just took my first groundfighting seminar the other day, and ended up laughing my head off during most of it because I was so bad and like one of those roly poly Weebles (remember those) doing it.

But I'm really happy for Cowboy especially. Thrilled, actually. :-)

 

Blogger Chris said ... (7:40 AM) : 

We've been doing groundfighting since the first day--even though none of us are really into it at this point. I think we'll lose that aspect once we start doing weapons, since there won't be any time.

 

post a comment