Superwife - Camo belt - D

My wife of 8 years and mother of our three kids. She started TKD after the birth of Odie, our third child.

Princess - Camo Belt - D

Our seven-year-old daughter. She was originally supposed to be a spectator to Cowboy, but jumped in and has proven to have an incredible talent for the martial arts.

Cowboy - Camo Belt - D

Our six-year-old son. He is small for his age, so starting him in TKD is what got us into this mess. He is very close to our Chief Instructor, and his spirit is twice as big as he is.

Odie

Our youngest son, born in April of 2006. By the time he is old enough to start, we should all be Black Belts.

Friday, October 06, 2006

More Frustrations

Ok. Last night I was close to dropping it altogether. I'm better now.

With 3 weeks to go until testing, we still haven't learned (here, I learned them all in 4 weeks in FL) the second one-step or the second half of SA#3. After class, our instructor kind of non-chalantly mentioned that we'd only be testing for Yellow-R. We respectfully left, but were ready to riot once we got into the parking lot.

What this means for me is that now I won't be able to free-spar (something I was seriously looking forward to) in a tournament in January. And most likely, BBC and Leadership are a loooong way's off.

It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't expect to test for the full belt, or if we didn't know that the owner's other two schools all had leadership and BBC. Or, even if for just one night, our instructor would be willing to answer questions about the school or ATA in general. Right now we feel like we're being trained like the kids are.


CHALLENGE STATUS

PUSHUP: -1260
SITUPS: -2592
MILES: -46.2

Comments on "More Frustrations"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 PM) : 

Wait a second-- as far as I can tell, at least according to the rules at my ATA school, you ARE being trained like the Tiny Tigers. My son is a TT, and for him, he only goes up a half belt (or recommended to decided, etc.)every cycle until he's 7. After that, anyone over 7 years old is expected to be learning everything in one shot. If you are going twice a week per cycle as an adult, and you know the material, then you should be promoting to full belt. Heck, I hadn't even gone for the full cycle and I was promoted to my first belt since I learned it fast enough. That's not right. I would clarify things with the owner, because adults shouldn't be tested the EXACT same way as a 5-7 year old. I've never seen a parent with a half belt ever. Email me offline or if you have MSN messenger, IM me at dvillegas@comcast.net and we can talk-- I can try to give you more insight just from my own knowledge.

 

Blogger Chris said ... (2:43 PM) : 

Thus our frustration...when we asked him why, his first answer was "because the teacher says so," supposedly as a joke--then he clarified to say that it was an ATA rule that you ahd to have 4 months between belts.

No, in my limited experience, I've never seen a half-belt adult either.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 PM) : 

Okay, as far as I know, that is NOT correct. Perhaps for the little ones, but not for adults. And that's not an ATA rule as far as my experience goes. At least, that's not how it's done up this way in NJ. Hey, maybe you need to transfer to Maguire so that you can come to my school. ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:32 PM) : 

Oh, and I would still talk directly with the owner too. (There are a lot of Masters in AZ!)I looked at most of the locations in AZ (since I don't know which one you go to specifically), and there are no owners who are less than a 3rd degree BB, and by 3rd degree, you definitely ought to know. I know it would be 4 months for brown, red and red/black most likely, but NOT White through Blue. At least the owner can clarify it for you for sure, as they are super accountable to ATA HQ, and if you show the initiative to the owner, then I think they will be happy to discuss other options for how to promote, get into BBC, etc.

 

post a comment