Superwife - Camo belt - D

My wife of 8 years and mother of our three kids. She started TKD after the birth of Odie, our third child.

Princess - Camo Belt - D

Our seven-year-old daughter. She was originally supposed to be a spectator to Cowboy, but jumped in and has proven to have an incredible talent for the martial arts.

Cowboy - Camo Belt - D

Our six-year-old son. He is small for his age, so starting him in TKD is what got us into this mess. He is very close to our Chief Instructor, and his spirit is twice as big as he is.

Odie

Our youngest son, born in April of 2006. By the time he is old enough to start, we should all be Black Belts.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Frustrations

This has officially become an obsession.

It feels good, really, to have something like this. When I stopped flying to do my current job I lost something that I was very passionate about. I tend to be a passionate person--too much so in a lot of cases. I've floundered for a while now without anything to really dedicate myself to outside of my family, and I think I have found it.

There are issues, however.

When I was in FL I trained at an ATA school there. The place was incredible. The workouts were intense, but always focused on making you better, rather than just aimless workouts. We did an amazing amount of legwork, and the end result was that my kicks had dramatically improved by the time I got back. This, I think, directly contributed to my taking first place in forms at the AZ Regional tournament the day after I got back. My wife took second. Princess, who was competing in her first "judged" tournament, had to go to her ring alone since we were all competing at the same time. She took third in forms and sparring. All in all, a good day.

When I got back to my school, however, the differences in training were dramatic. The instructors in FL were very personable, very helpful and encouraging, and truly seemed more interested in my doing well than in any money the ATA was getting. I'm starting to feel that the school I'm in simply goes through the motions. We're two weeks from testing and we still haven't learned all of our form. We only have learned one one-step, and one self-defense technique. In three weeks in Florida I had learned all of SA #3, all three one-steps, and both self-defense techniques. Couple that with the fact that students there join BBC when the sign up (there were two White belts with black stripes in my class), I also had learned the entire Bong Mahng Ee freestyle form. Here, when I meekly (since our instructors aren't very approachable) ask what the possibility of starting BBC for us is, I get an answer that "it's coming."

It gets a little frustrating, especially considering that we're paying twice what the students there are paying.

I keep telling myself that we'll only be here for another year or so, and then we move to another location and, God willing, another school. In the meantime I'll take what I can from here.

While gone, as expected, the challenge fell apart. I haven't given up--I just dropped a lot of the requirements I placed on myslef and restricted it to solely the physical portions. Even with that, I am way behind--but catching up.

CHALLENGE STATUS

PUSHUP: -1482
SITUPS: -2802
MILES: -49.2

I'm hoping, if I can keep this up, that I will be back on track sometime around the end of the month or early next month. I refuse to give up on this.

Comments on "Frustrations"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:57 PM) : 

Hey-- great to see you back, and still loving it! And fantastic work at the tournament! Way to go!

Since I WORK for my ATA school, and the owner of mine is also part owner of a few other schools, I can tell you that the ATA has some basic parameters of how to teach and such, but each school has it's own personality and way of running things. Some of the ATA schools that are in FL, like the Victory schools (lemme guess-- you went to one of them?) is really DIEHARD in how they get things done. And if it works for them, it works for them. At my school, everything gets done, but in small chunks, and it sounds like it's a little bit more like your school in its approach, but I can say that the owner DOES want the money, but under the right circumstances. At my school, the owner eliminated the BBC altogether, and if you want to upgrade from Basic, you go straight into Masters. And it used to be that you had to be invited into Leadership, and now if you express and interest and you are not the menace of the class, you'll be allowed to join up. My son was just upgraded to Masters, and I've been in Leadership ever since I found out that in order to rank, you needed to be in Leadership program. I would love my son to take the XMA classes, but he would have to be in leadership, and we just can't afford that right now, and I also don't think at 5 years old he's mature enough for it yet. Maybe when he gets out of Tiny Tigers we'll think about it. But every school is run a little differently. I can tell you that we actually have quite a few state and world champions at my school. So she must be doing something right. And believe me, it's different too when you get out of the Songahm #1, #2, and #3 and one steps. While I am about to test for my brown belt next week, I am doing Chuhng Jung #2-- that's the RED Belt form that's done in order to go to your black belt! Next cycle I start back at Songahm #4, so that should be a lot easier. I'll still have to go back to CJ#2 as I get closer to my 1st deg. It's all in the perspective. Perhaps it's your school's policy to wait until you hit Camo level before you can be eligible for BBC or Masters. If you want the challenge, then just be persistent. If money is not an issue, then how can they say no to your upgrade? Email me if you would like to discuss it further from another ATA gal who is starting to see things from both ends (student, parent, AND employee/instructor). Windsornot@yahoo.com

 

post a comment