Superwife - Camo belt - D

My wife of 8 years and mother of our three kids. She started TKD after the birth of Odie, our third child.

Princess - Camo Belt - D

Our seven-year-old daughter. She was originally supposed to be a spectator to Cowboy, but jumped in and has proven to have an incredible talent for the martial arts.

Cowboy - Camo Belt - D

Our six-year-old son. He is small for his age, so starting him in TKD is what got us into this mess. He is very close to our Chief Instructor, and his spirit is twice as big as he is.

Odie

Our youngest son, born in April of 2006. By the time he is old enough to start, we should all be Black Belts.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Sidekicks

Sidekick, oh sidekick, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...

Talk about frustrating. I can't get a regular non-board-breaking sidekick down to save my life.

When I first started, the emphasis was on round kicks, which I could do but were excrutiating when I did them. Now we're focusing on sidekicks, and it's the same thing--except now in addition to painful, I feel like I'm going to fall on my face every time.

With a #3 kick, I keep reverting back to the way I was taught in Karate so many years ago, where I step forward and crossover in the chamber for the kick. Ms. C told me that when I do that my kicks are great, and about a foot and a half higher than when I do them the way I'm supposed to.

We're looking forward to the 6-day break we have ahead of us. I just hope I don;t gain much weight. Finally caught up on my pushups and situps, now I have a lot of running to do. Conveniently, the UWBT ends just before Spring Nationals, which has become my primary motivation in life.

CHALLENGE STATUS

PUSHUP: 0!
SITUPS: 0!
MILES: -45


Comments on "Sidekicks"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 PM) : 

Oh man, I know what you mean. It took me almost a year just to get the board breaking side kick down (just did it for my testing break on my first try! Yay!). Both my side kicks and round kicks, even after more than a year, look and feel awkward. Hell, you should see my hook kicks! I have to do the side kick halfway for the set up, and then the hook. Just keep practicing, it'll come. Ask for help if needed. And doing some of them above waist level (I'm assuming that's the "correct way") is a GOOd thing! As we get older, that's harder to do, so go for it while you can!

Good job on the UWBT! I should probably set myself to doing something like that. Crazy me with my asthma and bad trick knee is actually thinking of doing XMA for a "A" regional tournament in March. So I think it would be helpful if I started on some regimen for the stamina and to help me lose some weight to make it easier for me to do stuff. :-S But I'm glad you've caught up with your goals for the most part. That's great! (Happy Thanksgiving!)

 

post a comment