Superwife - Camo belt - D

My wife of 8 years and mother of our three kids. She started TKD after the birth of Odie, our third child.

Princess - Camo Belt - D

Our seven-year-old daughter. She was originally supposed to be a spectator to Cowboy, but jumped in and has proven to have an incredible talent for the martial arts.

Cowboy - Camo Belt - D

Our six-year-old son. He is small for his age, so starting him in TKD is what got us into this mess. He is very close to our Chief Instructor, and his spirit is twice as big as he is.

Odie

Our youngest son, born in April of 2006. By the time he is old enough to start, we should all be Black Belts.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Sparring

I am so loving this.

We've begun sparring regularly now, after drills and prep work to get ready for it. The only complaint I have is the fountain of sweat that pours out from my hewadgear, but it's bearable. We've only been doing kicks to the body, with no punches or head shots allowed at this point. Either way--it's a blast.

I'm not sure if I'm going to enter the January 20th tournament. First, I may not even be here for work reasons. Second, if I do get to go, we'll be taking Odie along with us so only one of us will be able to compete while the other watches the kid. We had Cowboy next to us last time, but he's pretty self-sufficient in comparison to a 10 month old.

Sahng-Jeoul Bongs are going well. I'm having issues with the foam bouncing off of my back when I bring it over the shoulder, resulting in it bouncing back to the front. I also am having issues with the "around the neck" move. Either way, it's a blast.

Tonight's our last prep class before testing on Saturday. Finally a Camo Belt (albeit half camo/half yellow). After next week we finally have a break in training when the school takes the holiday off.

CHALLENGE STATUS

PUSHUP: +71
SITUPS: +61
MILES: -26.3

Labels:

Comments on "Sparring"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:58 PM) : 

You're finally getting to some of the good stuff now. Hooray! I know exactly what you mean with the headgear. I have the same problem, and being the gal that I am, I probably have more hair to deal with underneath it as well! ;-) There are no punches to the face in TKD, only kicks to anywhere on the head except the face. (That's my forte due to my height-- head kicks.) I'm also working on my SJB. I did it before for only one cycle, and I feel like I still have SO much to learn for it. Progress is good! Which form are you doing next, now that you will be out of the S#1,2,3 cycle? Do you go in order, or just go along with whatever upper color level form everyone is doing? I just started S#5, which is the only one I haven't done yet. Congrats on moving up!

 

Blogger Chris said ... (6:56 AM) : 

I'm not sure which form we'll be doing next--the school blocks W,O, Y, and then the rest of the color belts. Should be interesting.

Have you ever competed with SJB?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:56 PM) : 

We block things that way too. Drew (my son) is doing his LAST cycle of doing that block, which fortunately is S#1. I'm going to start taking classes with him, so I can review, get a slight workout, and bone up on it so I can better remember it for instructor certification level 1, so maybe by spring or summer I can finally get my certification along with my black belt. I haven't competed with SJB, but I think a lot of people I know do. At color belt level, it's all freestyle, and you only have 20 seconds, and as my instructor says, "You can't mess up!" because nobody knows what you are going to do. You can always ask for pointers from some of the higher belts (both color and black), and if you aren't learning some sort of basic SJB form, take your favorite elements and just combine them. That's what I did with the Ssang-Nat (kama/ax looking things) this past cycle, and some of the 2nd and 3rd degree BB girls asked me to teach them my routine as they liked how I just combined a few moves that THEY actually had taught me. ;-) I'm doing SJB again this cycle, and if I can get a refresher on the form we learned, I'll try to email it to you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:48 AM) : 

Glad I'm not the only one with the hot headgear problem. Geez! They need in install vents in there or something!

 

post a comment