Superwife - Camo belt - D

My wife of 8 years and mother of our three kids. She started TKD after the birth of Odie, our third child.

Princess - Camo Belt - D

Our seven-year-old daughter. She was originally supposed to be a spectator to Cowboy, but jumped in and has proven to have an incredible talent for the martial arts.

Cowboy - Camo Belt - D

Our six-year-old son. He is small for his age, so starting him in TKD is what got us into this mess. He is very close to our Chief Instructor, and his spirit is twice as big as he is.

Odie

Our youngest son, born in April of 2006. By the time he is old enough to start, we should all be Black Belts.


This is a chronicle of my journey with my family along the paths of Songham Tae Kwon Do. Our destination is multi-faceted--but for my wife and I it is an odyssey of self-renewal and discovery.

My Profile

Creative Commons License

Help Black Belt Mama get an interview with Barbara,Button compliments of Martial Arts Pagoda

Powered by Blogger
Kanji

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Fatty

I'm loving this.

Ms. C taught the majority of the class last night, with us working primarily on Roundhouse kicks. One thing I can say about the marital arts is that once you do it, it sticks with you. It's been over 15 years since I last did anything and a lot of it is still there. What's not there is the physical conditioning part, which is a HUGE detractor at this point. It kind of takes the wind out of your sails when, after doing real well in your head as far as how you think your kicks are going, you see your fat belly in the mirrors that are everywhere. I just try to keep telling myself that it's getting better, even though I can't see it.

I'm a pretty competitive guy, which would lead me to believe that I'd be chomping at the bit to get better, progress in rank, etc. But for some reason I don't feel that. I'm really just having a great time, and whenever I see myself trying to compare my abilities with others in the class I have to stop myself.

I'm going away in August for a month, but there's a school right down the road from the base I'll be at. I'm planning on going as much as humanly possible during my time there.

Comments on "Fatty"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:43 AM) : 

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my TKD blog. It sounds like you are just starting on the road to your black belt, and I, too, am an ATA student. My son started about a year ago in May, but because he's a little tyke, he started with the Cubs and moved up to Tiny Tigers this past September, so he only got his full orange belt this past spring. I'll be moving him up to a Masters level probably in the fall, which only means that he'll be going twice a week and getting more of his gear. He's taking the summer off. Unlike him, I started around last September, and haven't stopped. Some aspects are easier, some are harder. But there definitely isn't a rush, and concentrating on your own personal progress has always been emphasized at our school. Keep it up, and maybe someday we'll meet up at one of the big tournaments! (Even though we're on opposite sides of the country! Maybe Worlds next year, the halfway point?) :-) I look forward to sharing and comparing experiences! I'm just charging ahead with this form for our regional tournament at the end of the month, and graduation is next month, so I'm hoping that I'll be getting my blue belt soon! Feel free to comment on my blog anytime! I'll be bookmarking yours! :-) Danielle aka Windsornot

 

post a comment